The Project Service (PS) solution will enable system-driven, automatic updates, in alignment with other Microsoft announcements that have highlighted the improved update process for Dynamics 365 (online):
- Modernizing the way we update Dynamics 365
- Dynamics 365 and Update Cadence – Business Applications Summit
- FAQ for Dynamics 365 Update Policies
New Project Service Update Policy:
- Manual updates lead to irregular and delayed updates which increase risks to the customer, support difficulties, and potentially increase downtime.
- This required organizations to increase update planning and testing across their instances.
- Leading to longer gaps between updates and often required deeper customer investments into their upgrade planning and testing.
- PS will move to an automatic update approach.
- Many other solutions already push minor updates into customer orgs, automatically (i.e. Customer Service, Sales, and Marketing).
- This will reduce customer risk, improve system supportability, and will make the update motion smoother and more predictable.
Project Service Version Eligibility:
- The new policy will be rolled out to instances with PS v2.4 and later as early as May 13th.
- Microsoft will gradually exercise the new policy for instances eligible for automatic upgrade, so customers may not see any immediate impact to their eligible instances.
- Customers can still update from the Admin Center if there is an update that has not yet been applied.
- For instances with PS earlier than v2.4, customers should plan to manually upgrade the org to the latest available version, bringing them in line with the new policy.
- For customers using PS v3, the automatic update policy will be enabled in the months following enablement for PS v2.
- Stay tuned for upcoming information on the overall move from PS v2 to PS v3; however, Microsoft will not automatically upgrade any customers on PS v2 to PS v3.
Scope of the Automatic Updates:
- Project Service releases new updates of the solution roughly once a month with occasional hotfixes being released more frequently.
- These monthly updates will include patches to resolve issues and may include minor functional, reliability, and performance improvements.
- For major updates, Project Service will follow the approach employed across Dynamics 365 for Customer Engagement.
- Project Service will deliver two major updates per year, in April and October.
- These will offer new capabilities and functionality.
- Major new capabilities will be enabled in a public preview prior to this delivery period so customers can validate major updates in a sandbox environment.
Solution Upgrade Timing and Impact:
- PS updates will undergo testing to ensure the solution upgrades successfully while also safeguarding that no breaking changes are shipped through upgrade.
- Major changes to the user interface, solution behavior, or significant new features will be shipped twice yearly after they’ve been available behind a preview.
- Automatic updates will be completed during periods of low traffic for the hosting geographical region with minimal service disruption.
We're always looking for feedback and would like to hear from you. Please head to the Dynamics 365 Community to start a discussion, ask questions, and tell us what you think!