Some of us have had install issues when it comes to installing Role Centers and Enterprise Portal (EP). The following is by no means a complete magic bullet but hopefully will get you through majority of the installation issues that we have come across.
It is a collection steps to overcome some known issues. For example install fails, if the language within the license key is other than “EN-US”, and you will most likely get the following error logged in the DynamicsSetupLog.txt file:
Error: The site /sites/DynamicsAX could not be created. The following exception
occured: File or arguments not valid for site template ‘AXSITEDEF#0‘..
1. If you have or are planning to install Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server (MOSS) 2007 Standard Edition then review and install hotfix KB 959111, if required. AX 2009 only supports MOSS 2007 Enterprise Edition.
2. If you havent got AX 2009 Hotfix Rollup Updates installed on your AOS and Application servers then install Application hotfix KB 960048. The hotfix comes in two flavours depending on whether you are running AX 2009 RTM or AX 2009 SP1. Install appropriate version.
3. (This step is important!) Run an instance of the AX Client on a system which also has the .NET Business Connector installed. Then from the AOT, compile the classes SysDevelopmentProxy and SysEpDeployment. If you have X++ license, just right click and select compile for each of the classes and then skip to step 6; if not then follow the next two steps to export/import via XPO as a workaround, which will force a compile of the classes.
4. Secondary-mouse click SysEpDeployment and choose Export. Enter a file name and click [OK]. Do the same for SysDevelopment proxy class.
5. Click import icon on AOT. Enter xpo file names that you exported above (one file at a time) and click [OK]. Ensure that both the classes import successfully.
6. Log into the server on which you want to install Role Center and Enterprise portal.
7. Install the correct version of SQL Analysis Management Objects (AMO) on the portal server.
8. Download the latest updated installation guide, and then follow through the steps in it to install Role Centers and Enterprise Portal
Further information and useful links:
- If you are planning to use Role Centers then the following white paper Checklist for Configuring Enterprise Portal and Role Centers with SQL Server Reporting and SQL Server Analysis Services is a MUST READ! It contains a checklist of all tasks that need to be completed to get it functional and include steps which go beyond what the installation guide suggests, including links to other white papers like Configuring the default OLAP cubes and Configuring Kerberos Authentication with Role Centers which is required if you are hosting the Enterprise Portal and Microsoft SQL Server Reporting and Analysis services on separate servers.
- Consult the Enterprise Portal Administration guide for more details on creating, configuring and maintaining Enterprise portal sites and configuring portal security. It complements the informations given in the AX Help files.
Before doing any new installations of Role Centers & Enterprise Portal, Reporting and Analysis Extensions, check for any new or updated known deployment issues, tips and tricks and also review and download the latest installation information and system requirements