I have collected some resources that can help you when you are considering a multi-site implementation of NAV. (These recommendations can be useful with other Microsoft Dynamics solutions as well.)
- A centralized model is one with a single Microsoft Dynamics NAV environment (i.e. single application & database). For most situations, this is not recommended due to the complexity of such a solution.
- A decentralized model is one where multiple Microsoft Dynamics NAV environments are used, each with its own application files and database.
- A hub & spoke model is where Microsoft Dynamics NAV is being used with non-NAV ERP applications.
Here are some of the key considerations when planning the implementation:
- Customers with a large number of users and heavy transaction load may prefer a decentralized environment.
- Customers with unique requirements across their business who use a customized Microsoft Dynamics NAV solution and ISV add-ins may opt for a decentralized environment to retain maximum flexibility.
- Customers who need to deploy the solution into multiple countries may prefer a decentralized model.
- Customers with uniform requirements throughout their businesses may prefer a centralized model.
Implementing in a multi-site environment might entail the following:
- A decentralized environment would require the use of a data warehouse to facilitate cross-company reporting.
- Consolidation for financial reporting might be needed.
These considerations are described in more detail in the following resources:
- Integrate multi-site and international organizations with Microsoft Dynamics NAV [http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/nav/product/mio.mspx]
- In particular, see the MIO white paper and the FAQs about MIOs.
- Microsoft Dynamics NAV Multi Site Implementations – on Customer Source [https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/productinformation/factsheets/mdnav_multi_site_implementations.htm]
- Multi-site and International Organizations for Microsoft Dynamics NAV – on Partner Source [https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/navision/multisiteinternationalorganizations.htm]
- Multi-site and International Organizations for Microsoft Dynamics NAV Presentation – on Partner Source [https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/sales/marketing/presentationdecks/MultisiteandInternationalOrganizationsNAV.htm]