The first part of the data upgrade process for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 is to run the upgrade checks that attempt to validate the state of your data. These validation checks should be extended by the developers that create all the customizations for the Dynamics AX environment. The process for running these validation checks will create a series of jobs that will run for every company installed on the system, including the DAT company. In most cases the DAT company has been only used for system related tasks with all business data being kept in separate companies, but that is not a hard requirement so some customer data also gets put into the DAT company.
This can cause those customers that do not use the DAT company to see some very unusual errors that come up from the upgrade readiness checks, and it is easy to ask yourself, can I just ignore these or not? The best answer is that some can be ignored, but others cannot, and here are some examples of the most common ones:
Can be safely ignored
- validateMissingLedgerJournalName – Ledger journal name is missing (you will need to create one later on during data preparation if you skip this step here)
- projPostingPreValidate – Your Ax2009 system is missing some project ledger posting setup….(this error can be ignored only for companies not using the Project module)
Need to be addressed
- validateInventDimBlank – use the Fix button to easily create one
- Multi Site Activation errors – you will need to activate multi-site within the DAT and every company which means you will need to create a site and warehouse which can be removed later.
- validateDataAreaIds – Invalid DataAreaId found in some tables – this error is meant to let you know that there is data in a table with a DataAreaId of a specific company where the table should only show records from a virtual company. While it may not be necessary in all cases to clean this up, it would be in your best interest to address this now.
- validateCompanyInfo – There are company records without a name or country/region – the name and Country/Region ID are required values.
Any other messages that refer to invalid countries, missing LedgerTable or LedgerDimension records, etc. should always be addressed.
Thanks to the commenter who submitted this question originally, please feel free to add comments or reply directly with other questions that would benefit the community.