Updated 2015-11-25. Originally published 2014-06-13.
For business and IT leaders in today’s digitally-connected world who want to deliver amazing customer experiences, your solution – Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 – is now available in 36 countries!
Read more general information on the release of Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 here, in this blog post, or read what’s new in R3 on TechNet. Make sure to follow the Inside Microsoft Dynamics AX blog to receive the latest announcements on R3!
Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 includes new Warehouse and Transportation management modules. This blog post will provide you with some links to what is new in these two modules.
The information on TechNet will be updated continuously when new content is available.
What’s new in warehouse management
- You can configure inbound and outbound intelligent workflows.
- You can assign orders to clusters to pick from a single location, and configure profiles to control the validation and packing of items into shipping containers. You can also alternate between picking strategies for batch and non-batch items.
- You can create, implement, and release work by using batch-scheduled or manual processing of waves.
- You can set up cycle counting thresholds, create ad-hoc cycle counting plans, schedule plans, and cycle count locations and items.
- You can set up container groups to order the sequence of the packing process, and create templates to support packing strategies.
- You can use scanners or other mobile devices to optimize precision in the picking and put-away processes.
- CU8 – Use cross-docking to move packages of products through a warehouse while using limited or no storage.
- CU8 – Set up a company policy for sales order fulfillment and create batch jobs to release sales orders and transfer orders to the warehouse.
- CU8 – Allocate batch numbers.
- CU8 – Receive items at a different warehouse than expected.
- CU8 – Use product variants in warehouse management processes.
- CU9 – It’s now possible to show a configurable list of available work items on a warehouse mobile device.
- CU9 – You can deduct unreserved inventory from existing replenishment work with demand replenishment.
- CU9 – There are performance improvements for min/max replenishment processing.
- CU9 – You can pack transfer orders into containers at the packing station.
- CU9 – The Consolidation and Empty location with no incoming work location direction action strategies are available when moving inventory.
- CU9 – You can use “Report as finished” on a mobile device in overproduction scenarios.
- CU9 – The FEFO batch reservation strategy now takes the “Best before date” and the “Expiration date” of batches into account.
- CU9 – It is now possible to reserve items across different batch numbers when releasing sales orders.
- CU9 – It’s possible to consolidate sales orders for the same customer into the same shipment when using the auto release to warehouse process.
- CU9 – You can now have both transfer and sales orders in the same wave.
- CU10 – It is now possible to use warehouse management processes with purchase, production and sales orders linked to projects.
- CU10 – A new field has been introduced to the On hand by location form called Available physical on exact location.
- CU10 – Wave demand replenishment now recognizes existing unallocated min/max replenishment work as supply.
- CU10 – Cancelling wave demand replenishment work will now unblock sales orders automatically.
- CU10 – Demand replenishment will now consider all lines in the replenishment template.
- CU10 – The directive code on work templates with the work order type Replenishment is now editable.
- CU10 – Picking of sales serial items is now possible using warehouse management processes.
- CU10 – You can now postpone the registration of serial numbers on a serialized component in a manufacturing process up until production consumption.
- CU10 – Picking partial license plates for raw material picking is now possible.
- CU10 – During Report as finished and put away it is now possible to change inventory status on the mobile device.
- CU10 – It is now possible to overproduce with back-flushing when using a scrap factor on the Bill of Materials line.
- CU10 – You can now separate the receiving and put away process when doing license plate receiving on the mobile device.
- CU10 – Added functionality for splitting put away lines to several locations, consolidation of license plates and skipping put lines.
- CU10 – You can now cancel a put away on the mobile device at any place in the process.
- CU10 – During purchase receiving using the mobile device, the unit of measure will be defaulted to the UOM setup on the GTIN number.
- CU10 – When using the Delivery schedule form on a purchase order line to split the delivery of a purchase order to different days, the load lines will also be updated.
- CU10 – You can now over pick during sales or transfer order picking on the mobile device.
- CU10 – You can now use the Full button any time during picking to indicate that you can’t pick any more lines.
- CU10 – It is now possible to block release to warehouse and creation of work for sales orders that exceeds customers credit limit.
- CU10 – Work can now be split depending on Work header maximums specified on the Work template form.
- CU10 – Performance: Improvements to the on-hand stored procedure that is used to calculate on-hand inventory.
- CU10 – Performance: A new clean up job for deleting closed on-hand entries in InventSum and WHSInventReserve has been introduced.
- CU10 – Performance: Registering product receipt and querying for a put away location has been improved when using Volumetric and Stocking limits constraints for locations.
- CU10 – Performance: Closing of containers during pack operations have been improved by avoiding some client/server calls.
- CU10 – Performance: Containerization as part of wave posting have been improved and optimized when scaling number of sales lines per order.
- CU10 – Performance: Queries during processing of large waves with many allocation errors has improved.
- CU11 – Performance: Enable multi-threading on wave execution.
- CU11 – Performance: Inserting records into InventTransOriginTransfer from the write TransferRefId method has been improved.
- CU11 – Report actual consumption for production on a mobile device.
- CU11 – Ability to round up work for raw material picking in the unit that the material is picked in.
- CU11 – Ability to mark a production order as ended when you are reporting as finished on a mobile device.
- CU11 – Ability to report items that have an active serial number as finished by using a mobile device.
- CU11 – Receive a pallet that has mixed source document line, and register it by using one license plate (LP).
- CU11 – Locate put-away locations, based on LPs for mixed LP and LP receiving processes.
- CU11 – Associate LPs with a container type.
- CU11 – New functionality has removed the need for the message that states that the load line is not valid when you try to release a load that is a partial quantity.
- CU11 – All first expired, first out (FEFO) batch reservation sales lines that are created have the same item.
- CU11 – You can now change the unit of measure during sales order picking
- CU11 – The Adjustment in and Adjustment out mobile device menu items now have the option to show or hide inventory status.
- CU11 – You don’t need to enter the return merchandise authorization (RMA) for every line that is being returned when you process a return through a mobile device.
- CU11 – The ability to allow negative physical and financial inventory for specific warehouses is now controlled by the LogisticsBasic configuration key.
What’s new in transportation management
- You can plan transportation for inbound and outbound shipments, manage routes, and consolidate shipments.
- You can configure rating structures and shop for rates, based on charges such as fuel and customs duties.
- You can view driver check-in and check-out history and driver logs.
- CU8 – Use a load building workbench to automatically build loads based on the templates and strategy that you define.
- CU9 – You can print multiple packing slips in the load planning workbench.
- CU9 – There are additional fields available in the Bill of Lading.
- CU9 – You can now turn off the freight reconciliation process if it is not used.
- CU9 – There are performance improvements for the load planning workbench.
- CU10 – You can now create scheduled routes for transportation planning and use Load building workbenchto create optimal loads for the routes.
- CU10 – The auto release to warehouse process for transfer orders can now consolidate orders into shipments based on their origin and destination warehouse.
- CU10 – Purchase and sales order linked to a project can now be added to loads and used with transportation management processes.
- CU11 – Combine sales orders and transfer orders on the same outbound load.
- CU11 – Accrual posting of inbound freight charges at the time of product receipt
- CU11 – The printed master bill of lading (BOL) gives summarized information for all attached underlying BOLs.
- CU11 – You can go directly to the BOLs for a load from the Load planning workbench.
|Explore||Warehouse Management System Implementation Guide||Download Center|
|Transportation Management System Implementation Guide|
|What’s new: Warehouse management features||TechNet|
|What’s new: Transportation management features||TechNet|
|Application User Library: Warehouse management||TechNet|
|Application User Library: Transportation management||TechNet|
|Class materials and recorded sessions from training sessions in Warehouse Management System (WMS) and Transportation Management System (TMS)|
|What’s new in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 Solution Demo VM for Warehouse and Transportation management||Blog by Dynamics AX CIR Team|
|How to extend Warehouse Management RF Interface in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3||Blog by Alex Anikiev|
|List of Microsoft Dynamics AX Monthly Webinars 2013-2014. The webinar for June 2014 has an introduction on WMS and TMS.||Blog by AX Support|
|Watch webinars on Microsoft Dynamics Learning Portal|
|Watch the sessions from Convergence 2015 in Atlanta March 16-19. Once registered you can watch the following sessions about WMS and TMS:|
|Watch the sessions from Convergence in Barcelona November 4-6 2014. Once registered, you can watch the following sessions about WMS and TMS:|
|Watch the sessions from Convergence in Atlanta March 4-7 2014. Just sign up for Virtual Convergence 2014. Once registered, you can search for the following sessions about WMS and TMS:
||Virtual Convergence 2014|
|Presentations, videos and instructor-led labs from Microsoft Dynamics AX Technical Conference 2015||CustomerSource|
|Presentations and videos from Microsoft Dynamics AX Technical Conference 2014||CustomerSource|
|Download white papers, printable guides and documentation for supported tools that can be used with Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012||
Resources for Dynamics AX 2012 on TechNet
White paper: Reservations in Warehouse Management
White paper: Implementing and Deploying Transportation Management Engines
White paper: Performance considerations for warehouse management
White paper: Transportation management engines
The New, Changed, and Deprecated Features for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 guide provides a summary of new and changed features that have been implemented in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012, Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Feature Pack, Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2, and Microsoft AX 2012 R3.
Please note that WMS II will be deprecated for the next major release after Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3. For more info, visit TechNet.
|Release notes for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3||CustomerSource|
|Try||Customers, take Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 for a test drive today!||CustomerSource|
|Partners, take Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 for a test drive today!||PartnerSource|
|Cumulative update 8 (CU8) for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3|
|Cumulative update 9 (CU9) for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3|
New! Cumulative update 10 (CU10) for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3
Installation guide for CU10
|Demo data package and demo data scripts for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 (Updated for CU8). Contains the following WMS & TMS demo scripts:
|Warehouse Management in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 eLearning course (80694)|
|Transportation Management in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 eLearning course (80693)|
|Try out Microsoft Dynamics Lifecycle Services! It provides a cloud-based collaborative workspace that customers and their partners can use to manage Microsoft Dynamics AX projects from pre-sales to implementation and operations.|
|Sign up for Microsoft Dynamics AX R&D Feedback Community|