Customers are facing challenges with data migration scenario, where each customer/partner has to write custom code or use 3rd party tools to import large volume of data. To help alleviate this pain point, Microsoft Dynamics team has developed a cloud Data Loader service for Dynamics CRM Online. The key benefit of this service is the ability to move your data between flat files and CRM Online, and cut down on implementation costs. We’re pleased to announce preview of this service that will empower organizations to better manage their data import/export processes. The preview supports only import operation, and the export will come in the next update of the feature.
This new Data Loader is available as a preview to North American based Dynamics CRM Online organizations. It supports CRM 2015 Online Update1 and the upcoming release.
In this post, I will be sharing the following high level topics for the Data Loader.
Send us feedback
- Quick and easy to configure import of data
- Eliminate writing custom code against CRM SDK for importing data and thus cutting down on the implementation time and cost
- Supports bulk loading of data
- It’s available at no cost
The Data Loader preview is enabled by default for all CRM administrators. Use the following steps to access the service:
- Navigate to link https://lcs.dynamics.com/DataLoader/Index.
- Click on Sign in and enter your CRM administrator credentials.
NOTE: This CRM admin also needs to be a Service or Global admin in AAD (Azure active directory).
This will log you in the service, and you are ready to use.
For detailed walk through of how to use this service – refer to the blog post Data Loader Service: How to Use (Part 2 of 2).
- All data uploaded is encrypted
- Support for update and creates
- Support for flat files with any delimiter
- Edit and re-use data mappings
- Excel app for fixing invalid data in the staging db and iterate over the data
- Parallel processing to support bulk loads
- Import of multiple entities in one data project
- Handles auto detection of insert order and relationships
- Imports historical data like closed activities, older Created date
- Achieve high throughput
- Only supported for North America geography
- No support for email attachments
- No Web API support for accessing the tool
- Limited to flats files as source data format
- Scheduling Jobs not supported
- Dynamics CRM On-Premises is not supported
Send us your feedback
We are making this preview available so that you can try it and let us know what you think. Your feedback will help us prioritize work to include the capabilities you need most. We ask that you give us your questions, suggestions and report problems from right inside of the Data Loader user experience, it’s the Smiley feature as shown below.
CRM Product Team