If you want to upgrade to any MS Dynamics AX 2012 version (R1, R2, or R3) from MS Dynamics AX 2009 then it is a needed requirement to run the multisite activation on the MS Dynamics AX 2009 side as a prerequisite.
The multisite activation process is known to be a quite performance intensive task!
Therefore I just like to recommend the following tips for the environment where you run the multi site activation:
* Make sure that you run a distributed installation where the AOS server and SQL servers run on different computers
* Make sure that the AOS server and SQL server run 64 Bit Windows operating systems instead of 32 Bit Windows operating system due to enhanced main memory handling
* If possible prefer physical hardware for the AOS and SQL server instead of virtual machines if possible
* Check that “High Performance” under Control Panel, Power options is set for the AOS server, SQL server machine and AX client computer. You may find more information about the setup / background of the “High Performance” setting here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/axsupport/archive/2014/01/10/dynamics-ax-power-options.aspx
* Make sure that the CPU clock speed of AOS and SQL server computer is >= 3 GHz
You can find more application related background information in the MS Dynamics AX 2009 multisite activation white paper here:
Some upgrade related information about MS Dynamics AX 2009 multisite activation can listed here: