Making end users more productive on mobile devices often starts with email and collaboration. IT has always had to balance and live with tradeoffs between providing end users with a great experience and making sure the data is safe when enabling mobile productivity.
Office 365 is the gold standard for productivity on mobile devices and PCs. Tens of thousands of customers have chosen Office 365 as their platform for productivity. With Microsoft Intune (which is included Microsoft’s Enterprise Mobility Suite), you can manage Office mobile apps so that IT no longer has to make a tradeoff between a rich end user productivity experience (with Office) and keeping corporate data secure (with Intune).
In addition to Intune’s ability to manage Office mobile apps, the Enterprise Mobility Suite (EMS) provides additional capabilities for Office 365 customers. EMS provides management across users, devices, apps, and data.
Let’s break down these capabilities:
Users / Identity
Customers take their first steps connecting their on premises directories with a cloud directory with Office 365. Azure Active Directory is the directory for Office 365 and processes up to 14 billion authentications during the busiest weeks. Azure Active Directory with EMS provides additional value to Office 365 customers. For example:
- Enables self-service password reset and change to be written back to on premises Active Directory.
- Provides end users the self-service ability to join / manage groups.
- Advanced machine learning-based security and usage reports provide additional protection to sensitive data.
- Forefront Identity Manager usage rights are provided to manage on premises identities.
Devices / Apps
EMS includes Microsoft Intune which delivers mobile device and application management across popular mobile platforms as well as provides management of PCs and laptops. In addition to providing management of Office mobile apps outlined above, Intune also provides additional capabilities such as:
- Provides mobile application management to line-of-business apps with the Intune app wrapper.
- Deploys certificates, WiFi, VPN, and email profiles automatically once a device is enrolled, enabling users to access corporate resources with the appropriate security configurations.
- Secures corporate data, including Exchange emails, based on the enrollment status of the device and the compliance policies set by the administrator.
- Provides a comprehensive management solution through a single administrative console that allows you to manage across a variety of devices, including PCs and laptops.
EMS provides solutions to extend your enterprise mobility strategy the last mile: protecting the data. Azure Rights Management Service helps you securely share your organization’s data. In addition to the ability to protect content stored in Office (Exchange and Sharepoint either on prem or online) EMS enables
- Protection for content stored in Windows server file shares.