I’ve spent the past 10 years working with Microsoft clients in the defence and intelligence communities – both in the United States and worldwide. Cybersecurity is arguably the no. 1 priority for these customers because of what’s at stake: compromises to national security, military operations and classified and sensitive information. The cybersecurity challenge is pervasive and escalating as countries increasingly rely on information technology as part of their critical infrastructure. I enjoy meeting with those responsible for protecting their public safety and national security assets, whether it be a country’s military or civilian branches, intelligence officials, law enforcement agencies or other organisations. Here’s a synopsis of what we typically discuss.
Security in a cloud-first, mobile-first world calls for a new approach. Data is accessed, used and shared on premise and in the cloud, erasing traditional security boundaries. When approaching this challenging cybersecurity landscape and the digital transformation needed to protect national security and defence assets from evolving threats, Microsoft leverages our comprehensive platform, unique intelligence and partnerships. We help customers achieve a balance of security and end-user empowerment, with effective security controls across identity, device, data and apps and infrastructure. Our approach protects an organisation’s data against unauthorised access, detects attacks and breaches and helps the responsible IT team respond and adapt to prevent future attacks. The Microsoft protect-detect-respond model is built on our expertise and experience of:
- Having more than 200 consumer and commercial cloud services
- Updating more than 1 billion devices monthly
- Handling 300 billion-plus authentications per month
- Analysing 200 billion emails per month
- Reviewing 18 billion web pages/queries per month.
A secure modern enterprise
Microsoft‘s secure modern enterprise secures the four pillars: identity, data and apps, infrastructure, and devices.
- Identity: Embraces identity as primary security perimeter and protects identity systems, admins and credential as top priorities.
- Apps and Data: Aligns security investments with business priories including identifying and securing communications, data and applications.
- Infrastructure: Operates on modern platform and uses cloud intelligence to detect and remediate both vulnerabilities and attacks.
- Devices: Accesses assets from trusted devices with hardware security assurances, great user experience and advanced threat detection.
By building security into Microsoft products and services from the start, we deliver a comprehensive, agile platform to better protect endpoints, move faster to detect threats and respond to security breaches across the largest of organisations, including those with the most challenging cybersecurity requirements. Here are a few examples:
- Pre-boot authentication improvement
- Disallow hot-plug Direct Memory Access (DMA) until user signs in and when locked
- Automatic device encryption with Azure Active Directory (AAD) sign-in to Windows
- Supports backup of BitLocker recovery password to AAD
- BitLocker support for virtual machines using Virtual Trusted Platform Module (vTPM).
Azure Security Centre stands on four security pillars:
- Provide visibility and control across your distributed cloud deployments
- Unlock agility so that IT pros, security professionals and DevOps teams can quickly take advantage of cloud efficiencies through policy-driven security recommendations
- Prevent threats by providing enlightened security signals and alerts that are based on context-correlated threat intelligence derived from Microsoft’s vast global intelligence assets and expertise
- Deploy with confidence so that you trust development, operations and infrastructure on Azure.
Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS) is the ideal solution for Office 365 customers looking to extend the protection of their Office 365 data.
- Azure Active Directory Premium is a comprehensive, highly available identity and access management cloud solution that combines core directory services, advanced identity governance and application access management
- Microsoft Intune provides mobile device management, mobile application management and PC management capabilities through one unified console
- Microsoft Cloud App Security provides deep visibility, comprehensive controls and improved protection for all cloud applications in your network
- Azure Information Protection provides persistent data protection of files shared internally and externally, including options to automatically classify and label files based on sensitivity
- Microsoft Advanced Threat Analytics helps protect on premise resources from advanced targeted attacks by automatically analysing, learning and identifying normal and abnormal entity behaviour
- FastTrack for EMS includes resources, tools and experts to make your rollout of EMS a success for both you and your end users.
Our goal is to ensure that government organisations have the trust, security and compliance they need to protect sensitive data. Please contact us to address your cybersecurity challenges and learn more by visiting: