Today, Microsoft announced General Availability of SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse (formerly Project “Madison”), its first Appliance for high end Data Warehousing. For customers with the most demanding Data Warehouses, SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse offers massive scalability to hundreds of terabytes and enterprise class performance through a massively parallel processing (MPP) architecture. With Parallel Data Warehouse, Microsoft provides the most complete Data Warehouse platform with a complementary toolset for ETL, BI, MDM and real-time Data Warehousing.
- Massive scalability to hundreds of terabytes. The largest appliance scales to over 500TB of user data capacity and has up to 40 compute nodes
- Enterprise class performance – Parallel Data Warehouse delivers up to 10X data throughput and 100X faster query performance than an SMP Data Warehouse
- Latest generation of industry standard hardware with 2-socket servers that use 6-core Intel® Westmere processors
- Low cost with appliances starting from approximately $13K per terabyte
- First-class integration with Microsoft BI tools such as PowerPivot, SQL Server Analysis Services, Reporting Services and Integration Services
- Reduced risk through pretested configurations. Parallel Data Warehouse is also built on a mature SQL Server platform with ten releases of technology
Over sixteen customers, from 6 industries participated in the technology previews for Parallel Data Warehouse. These customers saw between 40 and 200 times improvement in query performance when compared to existing scale up data warehouses.
Visit us at PASS Summit
This week, Microsoft is showcasing Parallel Data Warehouse at PASS Summit 2010. Come to Booth # 208 to see a real Parallel Data Warehouse appliance!
· SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/solutions-technologies/data-warehousing/pdw.aspx
· Register Now to attend Microsoft Data Warehouse Virtual Launch Event on November 16, 2010