The SQL Server Compact team is happy to announce that the next version of Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 has been released, and is available for download and for use in the production systems at the location below:
· Default database for Microsoft WebMatrix: Compact 4.0 is the default database for Microsoft WebMatrix, which is the web stack that encapsulates all the technologies like ASP.NET, IIS Express, Editor and SQL Server Compact that are needed to develop, test and deploy ASP.NET websites to third party website hosting providers.
· Rapid website development with free, open source web applications: Popular open source web applications like mojoPortal, Orchard, Umbraco etc. support Compact 4.0 and can be used to rapidly develop, test and deploy websites.
· One click migration to SQL Server: As the requirements grow to the level of enterprise databases, the schema and data can be migrated from Compact to SQL Server using the migrate option in the WebMatrix IDE. This also adds a web.config xml file to the project that contains the connection string for the SQL Server. Once the migration completes, the website project seamlessly switches from using Compact to SQL Server.
· ADO.NET Entity Framework 4 (.NET FX 4) code-first and server generated keys: Compact 4.0 works with the code-first programming model of the ADO.NET Entity Framework. The columns that have server generated keys, like identity and rowguid for example, are also supported in Compact 4.0 when used with ADO.NET Entity Framework 4.0. Support for the code-first and for the server-generated keys rounds out the Compact support for ADO.NET Entity Framework.
· Improvements for setup, deployment, reliability, and encryption algorithms: The bases of Compact 4.0 have been strengthened to ensure that it can be installed without any problems, and can be deployed easily, and works reliably while providing the highest level of security for data.