We are very excited to announce the release of Public Preview 5 of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) 18.0. This release has a number of new features and capabilities and several bug fixes across SQL Server Management Objects (SMO), UI, etc.
You can download SSMS 18.0 Public Preview 5 here.
New features include:
- Static Data Masking
- Query Tuning Assistant
- Ability to launch Azure Data Studio from SSMS
SSMS improvements include:
- SSMS – Exposed “Maximum size for error log files” under “Configure SQL Server error logs”
- SSMS/Object Scripting – Adding new menu items for “CREATE OR ALTER” when scripting objects
- Database Compatibility Level Upgrade – New option under <Database Name> Tasks > Database Upgrade. This will start the new Query Tuning Assistant to guide the user through the process of:
- Collecting a performance baseline before upgrading the database compatibility level
- Upgrading to the desired database compatibility level
- Collecting a second pass of performance data over the same workload
- Detecting workload regressions and providing tested recommendations to improve workload performance
- SSMS – Query Store
- Improved usability of some reports
- New Query Wait Statistics report
- Vulnerability Assessment – Enabled Vulnerability Assessment tasks menu on SQL Azure Data Warehouse
- SSMS/Managed Instance – Improved support for Azure Active Directory logins, SMO Filegroup objects, and UI for credentials and audits
In addition, we also have several bug fixes in the following areas:
- AG dashboard
- Attach Database wizard
- Scripting of SMO Filegroups objects
For a full list of changes, please see the Release Notes.
SSMS 18.0 Public Preview 5 can be installed side-by-side with SSMS 17.x for testing purposes. As a reminder, the use of pre-GA software in production environments is not supported.