Last month, we gave everyone a detailed sneak peek into new capabilities we are releasing with Windows Server, version 1903. Today, we are excited to announce that this release is now generally available.
Windows Server, version 1903 brings innovation to areas that that matter to you, such as Containers, Edge Computing and Hybrid. You can see these capabilities enabled across our suite of server products.
Windows Server containers
We’ve introduced several new capabilities of Windows Server containers, most notably, the support of Windows Server containers in Kubernetes. Not only that, we are also bringing that support in Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS). Check out the preview for more details.
Other enhancements include GPU Acceleration in Windows containers, and scalability improvements in the latest release of Flannel and Kubernetes v1.14.
Windows Admin Center
The latest Windows Admin Center release continues to build on hybrid cloud capabilities that make it easier than ever to leverage the benefits of the cloud from your Windows Servers. For example, you can seamlessly migrate Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 file shares to Azure, using Storage Migration Service and Azure File Sync integration in Windows Admin Center.
Check out the Windows Admin Center blog for other new capabilities.
Application Compatibility in Server Core
Server Core is the recommended Server OS for production. Server Core App Compatibility Feature on Demand (FOD) augments for improved application compatibility. The two additions to FOD this release are Task Scheduler and Hyper-V Manager.
Refer to what’s new in Windows Server version 1903 in Windows Server docs.
Tune in to Windows Server Summit on May 22nd at 9AM Pacific Time and also check out the on-demand sessions.
What to expect from Windows Server Summit? Windows Server experts will dive deep into
- Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) with Windows Server containers
- Latest in Windows Admin Center
- Storage Migration Service
- Application Compatibility Feature-on-demand (FOD)
- And, many more Windows Server sessions
Get Windows Server version 1903:
- Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC): Volume-licensed customers with Software Assurance can obtain the release by going to the Volume Licensing Service Center and clicking Sign In. Then click Downloads and Keys and search for this release.
- Visual Studio Subscriptions: Visual Studio Subscribers can obtain Windows Server, version 1903 by downloading it from the Visual Studio Subscriber download page. Releases obtained through Visual Studio Subscriptions are for development and testing only.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Are there new HCI and SDDC features in the Semi-Annual Channel 1903 release?
A: No, software-defined datacenter features like Storage Spaces Direct, software-defined networking, and shielded virtual machines aren’t included in Semi-Annual Channel releases. As described in Windows Server Semi-Annual Channel update, the Semi-Annual Channel of Windows Server is focused on containers and application scenarios that benefit from faster innovation.
Q: Does Windows Admin Center ship in Windows Server, version 1903?
A: Windows Admin Center is available as a separate download.
Q: Where can I find Windows Server container images?